A writer who appeared on the “Sh—ty Media Men” list was blocked by a Brooklyn federal judge from finding out who levied the allegations against him on Wednesday.
Magistrate Judge Sanket Bulsara denied New Orleans-based writer Stephen Elliott’s request to get list-creator Moira Donegan, who he suing for defamation, to cough up the names of 30 unidentified “Jane Does” who contributed to the online document.
Elliott filed a $1.5 million suit against Donegan last year. The list, which claims sexual misconduct by men, was posted online briefly on Oct. 11, 2017.
Lawyers for Elliot have been unsuccessful in getting Google to disclose the identities of the list creators.
Elliott’s legal team then turned to Donegan for the names, who contended she no longer has access to that information.
Bulsara shot down the most recent attempt, saying Wednesday, “it’s not exactly clear” what Elliott was trying to accomplish by shaking down Donegan for the names.
At the hearing, Donegan’s lawyer said Elliot is “looking for the right person to sue.”
Andrew Miltenberg, an attorney for Elliott, said the attorneys will keep pushing forward to obtain the list “through the normal course of discovery.”